The Dodger

NHS volunteers during the holiday season

Eugenia+Mejia%2C+12%2C+gets+prepared+to+donate+blood+during+the+NHS+Blood+Drive.+This+is+one+of+many+events+NHS+hosts.+
Eugenia Mejia, 12, gets prepared to donate blood during the NHS Blood Drive. This is one of many events NHS hosts.

Photographer: Edwin Velez

Photographer: Edwin Velez

Erica Treto, Editor in Chief

National Honors Society is getting into the holiday spirit this year.

All 44 members gave a bit of holiday joy by buying gifts for children as part of their contribution to help the Saint Francis Community Services and go bell ringing for the Salvation Army.

“The main goal of being involved this holiday season is to help those who aren’t as fortunate as others. These children and families are not able to spend much money on Christmas to buy gifts, and so those of us who have some extra money, can help them out to bring them some joy. NHS hopes to help out as much children as we can both directly and indirectly. Our members have grouped together to buy children presents as part of Saint Francis Community Services,” said Roxana Arjon, 12.

Arjon also loves being in NHS and along with giving gifts; it makes her very happy and makes her want to be more involved in helping out.

National Honors Society was able to help out and gave more than 20 gifts this year.

Along with helping Saint Francis Community Services, NHS is also bell ringing this week at Wal-Mart. With more members this year, NHS President Citlalli Cobain, 12, has some goals in mind.

“This year, with 44 members, the club has been very involved. Everyone is putting in their part and their effort. My goal as president is to have more community service and volunteer projects so the members and myself can reach all the required service hours in order to letter in NHS,” she said.

However, her own personal goals are to give back to others this holiday season and leading the group was the direction she wanted to take.

“I personally feel overjoyed to be able to help others. Giving gifts to the kids who really need them and seeing how enthusiastic the NHS members were about this project was probably the best feeling in the world. It’s amazing seeing how even small gestures of kindness can result in happiness. I hope that this can become a something NHS can do every year as a way to give back,” she said.

For NHS Vice-President Mireya Chacon, 12, is all about spreading some joy.

“During the holidays, there are a lot of people who are in need especially in the wintertime. It’s just great to know you can make someone’s day better and make a child happy for the holidays,” she said.

Along with Cobain, Chacon want to lead NHS to really get out there and help the community and give this club a good name to make each member succeed.

For Arjon, she believe NHS brings an important change to Dodge City High School, especially with their annual blood drive.

“Our NHS members help out with the Red Cross Blood Drive, which is held twice a year at the high school. We help escort donors and help with sign-in. Without us, the Blood Drive wouldn’t function as well and we wouldn’t have as many donors who want to donate blood and help save lives,” she said.

National Honor Society has planned to volunteer in new opportunities and to contribute in both the school and the community. Currently, NHS has planned another blood drive sometime in March and arrange something special for Mother’s Day next year.

• NHS volunteers during the holiday season

Clubs

Girls place third at Sweepstakes

Student Life

GSA takes on “Day of Silence”

News

Second blood drive equals success

Sports

DCHS hires new head volleyball coach

News

Drill Team and Cheer announce 2019 teams

Student Life

Dodger Asks: How did you spend Spring Break?

Clubs

Forensics place at Greensburg

Student Life

Band students come together to play as one

Student Life

Class hosts comedy event

News

CTE program at DCHS is recognized

The School Newspaper of Dodge City High School