FCA holds Operation Christmas Child tradition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomores Rocelyn Miller and Gavin Jones sit to collect boxes for Operation Christmas Child.

Photographer Kirsten Bangerter

Photographer Kirsten Bangerter

Photographer Kirsten Bangerter

Jasmin Alvarado, News Reporter

Have you ever had a tradition that just always continues?

Whether it’d be giving to the less fortunate, or even going to grandmas for the celebration of Christmas Day. Every tradition can be formed with a different background, but let’s dive into FCA’s tradition of Operation Christmas Child.

FCA’s tradition is giving to the less fortunate and to those that have so little within their country.

“I feel like it’s a good organization because other people in other countries don’t have the same opportunities for Christmas presents that we do,” says Wyatt Trombley, 09. 

They have already made their tradition a success and have made it even better than before. Their idea of giving to the less fortunate all started four years ago under the fundamentals of helping others who are in need.

“Every year there is a drop location where students can drop off the packed boxes, so this make it feasible for us to participate,” said Taviana Lowery, FCA director.

Last year the FCA group made 20 boxes for children in other countries,  but this year they made 27 boxes. Their virtue doesn’t end there. Not only did they package 7 more boxes, but they also managed to receive donations to where they can even cover the shipping costs. Some of the items included in the boxes made out to the charitable donations range from things such as clothes, to school supplies, or even toys. This action took place Nov. 5-16 and Nov. 16 was their packing party during OP.

“I felt really happy afterwards because less privileged children were going to get a present that they may not always get,” says Kale Lowery, 10.

The goal of this service was to package more items than before and have fun while doing so.

“It’s is such a cool thing to pack a box and not know where it goes, but know that it will impact them in a positive way,” says Aria Knedler, 12.

In the end the whole purpose for this is to make a contribution to your community and help each other out. We can all help out and get that good warm feeling in our gut if effort is given. From this we can all agree that Operation Christmas was a complete success.