The Dodger

Press Release: Dave Foster announced Kansas Shrine Bowl 2019 Assistant Coach

Back to Article
Back to Article

Staff Reports

East-West Charity All-Star Football Since 1974

Tuesday, December 4th, 2018

BENEFITING SHRINERS HOSPITALS FOR CHILDREN

For Immediate Release

The Kansas Shrine Bowl Board of Directors is excited to announce the East and West Team assistant coaches for the 46th Kansas Shrine Bowl. East Head Coach Walt Alexander and West Head Coach Tyson Bauerle are pleased to welcome representatives from all six, 11-man classifications to round out two very qualified coaching staffs.

The West Team coaches will be Head Coach, Tyson Bauerle (Hesston); 6A Assistant, Dave Foster (Dodge City); 5A Assistant, Gary Guzman (Maize); 4A Assistant, Tom Beason (Goddard); 3A Assistant, Jamie Cruce (Pratt); 2A Assistant, Steve Wagner (Riley County); 1A Assistant, Chris Hattabaugh (Elkhart). The West Coaching staff had a combined 63-18 record in 2018, with two State Runner-Up finishes and one Sub-State Runner-Up. The staff also has a combined six Kansas Shrine Bowl coaching appearances.

The East Team coaches will be Head Coach, Walt Alexander (Topeka); 6A Assistant, Steve Buhler (Washburn Rural); 5A Assistant, T.J. O’Neill (Olathe West); 4A Assistant, Robert Ebenstein (Louisburg); 3A Assistant, Beau Sarwinski (Galena); 2A Assistant, Logan Wyrick (Humboldt), 1A Assistant, Caleb Wick (Jackson Heights). The East coaching staff had a combined record of 62-17 in 2018, including three Sub-State Runner-Up finishes. The East staff has a combined eight Kansas Shrine Bowl coaching appearances.

Head Coaches are selected by a vote of the coaching staff, camp directors, managers and trainers. Assistant coaches are invited based on their finish in the previous season and eligibility. Players selection is currently underway with final rosters set to be release during our 2nd Annual Kansas Shrine Bowl Selection Show on Saturday, December 15th at 10 a.m. The selection show will be streamed at www.kansasshrinebowl.com and www.youtube.com/kansasshrinebowl

The 46th Kansas Shrine Bowl is Saturday, June 8th, 2019 at 7 p.m. at Memorial Stadium in Dodge City, Kansas.

President – Richard Steele (Wichita)
1st Vice President – Steve Aemisegger (Independence) 2nd Vice President – Mike Tavares, P.P. (Shawnee)
3rd Vice President – Greg King (Great Bend)
4th Vice President – Donnie Bohannon (Holton)

Jack Call (Emporia)
Tim Williams, P.P. (Olathe) Allen Baiamonte (Overland Park) Ralph Streit, P.P. (Larned)
Peter Martin (Yates Center)

Don Boxberger, P.P. (Russell) Lou Robelli (Wichita)
Drew Couch (Derby)
Stan Jahay, P.P. (Arcadia) Mike Powell (Topeka)

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Supported by Kansas Shrine Centers: Abdallah, Overland Park; Arab, Topeka; Isis, Salina; Midian, Wichita; and Mirza, Pittsburg

West Team 6A representative Dave Foster will get to coach the 2019 Kansas Shrine Bowl on his home field at Memorial Stadium in Dodge City. Coach Foster lead the Red Demons to a 6-4 record in 2018 and into the second round of the 6A playoffs. Foster has a 48-40 record at Dodge City and is 114-99 overall. This will mark Foster’s second Kansas Shrine Bowl, serving as an assistant in 1999 while at Ness city.

Maize Head Coach Gary Guzman is one of two former Kansas Shrine Bowl Head Coaches assisting in 2019. Guzman was an assistant for the West in 2007 and head coach in 2008 while at Wichita Southeast. In his 8th season with the Eagles, Coach Guzman led Maize to a 10-2 record and a Sub-State Runner-Up finish.

For the third straight year the head coach of the Goddard Lions will coach in the Kansas Shrine Bowl as Tom Beason takes 2017 assistant and 2018 West Head Coach Scott Vang’s spot on staff. Coach Beason led the Lions to a 4A Runner- Up finish with a 10-3 record in his first season at the helm.

The 3A representative on the West Team will be Jamie Cruce of Pratt. Coach Cruce has turned the Greenbacks into a perennial power including a 3A State Runner-Up finish in 2018. In his six seasons in Pratt, Cruce has compiled a 42-21 record.

In 1994 the West beat the East 18-15, roaming the sidelines as a West assistant was Riley County’s Steve Wagner. Twenty-five years later, Wagner will be back on the West sideline representing 2A. Wagner’s twenty-five-year gap between Shrine Bowl’s is a record. Coach has compiled a 242-118 record in thirty-five seasons at Riley County, leading the Falcons to a State Runner-Up finish in 2018, with a 10-3 record. Wagner also served as an assistant coach in the 1988 Kansas Shrine Bowl.

In three seasons at Elkhart, Chris Hattabaugh has led the Wildcats to 23-7 record and back-to-back deep playoff runs, making it to the quarterfinals in 2018. Coach Hattabaugh brings a 50-36 overall coaching record to the West Team.

The West Team will be led by Head Coach Tyson Bauerle. This will Bauerle’s second Shrine Bowl, serving as an assistant in 2018. In two seasons at Hesston, Bauerle has built the Swathers into a contender, finishing this season in the second round of the 3A playoffs with a 6-4 record. Bauerle is 14-8 at Hesston and 24-17 overall, beginning his career at Sterling. “I’m excited to work with so many quality coaches,” said Bauerle, “We’re looking forward to a great camp and experience.”

Washburn Rural’s Steve Buhler will bring the most Kansas Shrine Bowl experience to this year’s game, serving in four games, including one as head coach in 2008 while he was at Rossville. Coach Buhler led the Junior Blues to a 7-3 record in 2018, falling to Topeka High, led by East Head Coach Walt Alexander. Buhler is 30-27 at Washburn Rural and 150-81 overall.

If his first season as a head coach is any indication, Olathe West’s T.J. O’Neill has a bright future. In their first year of varsity football, O’Neill led Olathe’s newest school to a 5-7 record. But don’t let the record fool you, the Owls won the games that count and made it all the way to Sub-State before falling to eventual 5A Champion St. Thomas-Aquinas. O’Neill spent seven years as offensive coordinator and Associate Head Coach at Mill Valley, prior to taking over the fledgling Olathe West program.

The East 4A representative is Louisburg’s Robert Ebenstein. After serving under quality head coaches, Ebenstein has made the most of his two seasons leading the Wildcats, including a 10-1 record in 2018 and a run to the state quarterfinals. Coach Ebenstein is 16-4 while at Louisburg.

Galena’s Beau Sarwinski picked up his 100th career win with a one-yard plunge by quarterback J.C. Shelton on 4th and goal to beat Marysville in double overtime in the state quarterfinals. The win solidified Coach Sarwinski’s legacy at Galena, turning the Bulldogs into a Southeast Kansas power. Galena finished 11-1 in 2018 as Sub-State Runner-Up. This will mark Sarwinski’s second time as an East assistant, serving in 2010. Coach Sarwinski holds an overall 100-33 record.

The 2018 Season will be talked about for generations in the small southeast Kansas town of Humboldt. East Team 2A assistant Logan Wyrick is a big reason why. In four seasons in Humboldt, Wyrick has led the Cubs to a 26-15 record including their 11-1 record and a Sub-State runner-up finish in this year’s historic season.

East 1A assistant will be Caleb Wick of Jackson Heights. Wick led the Cobras to the state quarterfinals and a 9-2 record. In seven seasons at Jackson Heights Wick has compiled an impressive 48-21 record.

The East Team will be lead by Topeka High’s Walt Alexander. Coach Alexander will be coaching in his fourth Kansas Shrine Bowl, serving as an assistant in 2005, 2015 and 2018. This past season, Alexander led the Trojans to a 9-2 record and the 6A quarterfinals in 2018. Alexander is 79-48 at Topeka High. “I couldn’t have a better group of men to work with, they all understand the importance of this game and how much it means to so many,” Alexander said of his 2019 East coaching staff. “They are excited and already working hard.”

Quick Facts

– Steve Wagner’s 25-year gap between Kansas Shrine Bowl coaching stints is the longest ever

– Galena High School, coached by East assistant Beau Sarwinski and Elkhart High School, coached by West assistant Chris Hattabaugh are 448 miles apart. Both representing extreme corners of Kansas. If we could have only had Troy and St. Francis, our map would stay up.

– East assistant Steve Buhler is among just a handful of coaches to return to the sidelines after serving as a head coach. Other include legendary Kansas coaches Larry Garman, Pittsburg; C.J. Hamilton, Silverlake; Chuck Smith, St. Mary’s- Colgan; and Bob Lisher, Lawrence Free State.

– For the second year in a row a first-year head coach has been selected to coach in the Kansas Shrine Bowl. T.J. O’Neill made it with Olathe West this year. Last year, Shawn Seematter of St. Mary’s-Colan made it in year one. However, I’m not sure how many coaches have made it the first year a school had varsity football. O’Neill might keep that record forever.

#####

The Kansas Shrine Bowl is an all-star high school senior, East vs. West, football game put on each year in Kansas, by the Kansas Shrine. It is a 501(c) 3 non-profit charity that produces annual events and related activities, with net proceeds benefiting Shriners Hospitals for Children. The Kansas Shrine Bowl has sent over $2M to Shriners Hospitals for Children since its inception in 1973.

The Kansas Shrine Bowl also includes the Kansas Masonic All-State Marching band camp, held annually at each host site. The week also includes the Kansas Shrine Bowl Cheer Camp, which culminates with performances at each game.

Other bowl weekend activities include, the Kansas Shrine Bowl Appreciation Banquet, the state’s largest Shrine Parade, Shriner’s Hospitals for Children Free Screening Clinic, Strong Legs Run 5k, 1 Mile Walk for Love, Junior All-Star Challenge, High School Football Combine/Clinic and 4-Man Golf Scramble.

For more information contact B.J. Harris at (913) 602-4359 or email [email protected]

• Press Release: Dave Foster announced Kansas Shrine Bowl 2019 Assistant Coach

Student Life

Students “Let It Be” in Floorshow themed showcase

Opinion

Dodger Asks: What does it mean for your to be nominated for Floorshow?

News

FCA holds Operation Christmas Child tradition

News

November Student of the Month

Opinion

Dodger Asks: What was your favorite part of the 2018 Drill Team trip?

Opinion

Dodger Asks: What are your plans for Thanksgiving this year?

Student Life

Drama Club performs No Vacancy

Student Life

Clubs host blood drive

Opinion

Dodger Asks: How do you feel about the changes to P/T Conferences?

Sports

Fall Sports Week Update 7 Final

The School Newspaper of Dodge City High School