Hansen and Herter become new assistant principals

Jonathan+Hansen%2C+history+teacher%2C+helps+a+student+during+OP.+Hansen+will+transition+into+the+new+assistant+principal+position+next+year.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Jonathan Hansen, history teacher, helps a student during OP. Hansen will transition into the new assistant principal position next year.

Photographer Rachel Garcia

Photographer Rachel Garcia

Photographer Rachel Garcia

Rachel Garcia, Managing Editor

In the next coming school year there will be some new positions for the staff of Dodge City High School.
This will include Jonathan Hansen moving from teacher to principal.  Hansen taught for 13 years, World History and AP Human Geography,  and is currently the sponsor for the Student Council Organization. For the 2020 school year, Hansen will be an assistant principal. 
Hansen said that although he is looking forward to the new position, he is going to miss being a teacher.
“I will miss working with the Student Council as their adviser and will miss the challenge of preparing students for the AP exam and sharing in their success,” said Hansen.
Also transitioning into the principal position is Amy Herter, who is currently an instructional coach at the high school.
These two assistant position became available after Shawn Lampe and Jason Scheck both are making a moves of their own.
Lampe who is currently an assistant principal and will be the new District Director of Safety and Security for USD 443. He has been working in the district for 30 years, and has been Assistant Principal for the last 12 years at the high school.
“I am looking forward to the challenge of helping all of our schools and provide the safest and most secure environment for our students and staff. I think it is a very important position and I’m excited to start something new.  The safety of our students and staff should be one of our most important priorities. If I can help make everyone feel safe and secure at school, they can focus on teaching and learning,” said Lampe.
For Lampe, it will also be hard leaving DCHS.
“I will miss the other staff members at DCHS and working with the students every day,” said Lampe.
The USD Board of Education approved Herter and Hansen at their Feb. 25 meeting to replace Scheck and Lampe’s previous assistant principal posts. These changes will take into effect during the 2020 school year.