Hensley recognized as Rudd Scholar

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hensley recognized as Rudd Scholar

Leslie Rodela, Senior Editor

Each year, the Rudd Foundation offers full ride scholarships for four years to determined students in the state of Kansas. Applicants must meet certain standards to apply. These students must also be attending either Wichita State University, Emporia State University, or Fort Hays State University. The winners are chosen through a competitive selection process.

Senior, Ayanna Hensley, was one of the 25 selected as a Rudd Scholar. She will be attending Fort Hays State University in the fall where she will study radiology and oncology. Hensley will also be a cheerleader for the school. She also plans on joining other clubs and learning communities to be more involved. The scholarship has given her a new chance in life.

“Winning the scholarship gives me the opportunity to be a kid again, I’ve had to be so mature from the age eight until present day. It’s been such a relief knowing I won’t have to struggle to pay for my education,” said Hensley

Hensley was at drill team practice when a member from the Rudd Foundation surprised her. She was in shock the moment she saw them.

“My legs were shaking and I was scared my knees would buckle. It was by far one of the best surprises I’ve gotten,” said Hensley.

She decided to go into radiology and oncology because some of her family members, including her mother, have had cancer. Hensley was inspired by the medical professionals that treated her family.

“These workers have saved my family members, so I wanted to experience that same feeling and save another little girl’s mom or dad,” said Hensley.

She decided to attend Fort Hays because of their radiology department and enjoyed the atmosphere Hays had to offer.

Hensley has faced many challenges throughout her life. She shared some advice for other students facing similar issues.

“My biggest advice is to find an outlet. I had a lot of emotions and struggles growing up. In high school, I started cross country, which became my outlet and quite literal life saver. I knew there would be an uphill after my downhills,” said Hensley.

Hensley is now the first Dodge City High School student to be selected as Rudd Scholar.