The School Newspaper of Dodge City High School

The Dodger

Styles of Dance Day 2

Dyamond Salem, Digital Media Staff

Hi, again! Today I will be talking about tap, probably one of my top 3 choices for dance classes I recommend. The “creation of tap” in America was sometime around 1845, when William Henry Lane mixed up different sounds. Known as Master Juba, he combined different steps with rhythms and had the “Juba Dance”, or the “Pattin’ Juba”. There are movie stars and performers who have combination steps named after them. The Maxie Ford and Shirley Temple are just a couple steps people are familiar with. These steps are common steps when watching a tap film, a Broadway piece, or taking a beginner class. Tap shoes are a mandatory part of dress code, if you want to progress and get anything out of class. The shoes worn have a beltone tap attached to the toe and the heel. These shoes connect with the floor to make a crisp sound, or hold to create silence. Both of these help create the interesting music played by those tapping feet. The definition reiterates what I just said: “Tap is a dance performed wearing shoes fitted with metal taps, characterized by rhythmical tapping of the toes and heels”. The coolest thing about tap is that it can be performed with music, body percussion, or a capella. Tap is not something you can wake up and be good at. This dance genre takes practice and many hours to perfect. While the taps are impressive, other dance forms need to be studied, in order to be a performer. Jazz is the typical hand holder when it comes to stage tap. One of my favorite quotes that I will leave you with today is…”Listen to my feet, and I will tell you the story of my life”. –John Bubbles, the father of Rhythm Tap

Styles of Dance Day 2