The School Newspaper of Dodge City High School

The Dodger

Styles of Dance Day 3

Dyamond Salem, Digital Media Staff

Hey, me again! Today, we will discuss Hip-Hop dance. This style of dance dates back to the 1970’s, when Funk was still a big part. It has not lost its gleam and excitement around the world. It may, actually, be more popular now with our youth and young adults today. Hip-Hop originated on the streets of New York City. People are always creating new moves, performing to this genre, and calling it Hip-Hop. Jerking and twerking became popular in the last 10 years, but are unnecessary, if you ask me. In the 1990’s and early 2000’s, dances like the Tootsee Roll and Harlem Shake were likely to be seen across dance floors and in the streets. The oldschool Black Americans and Latino Americans just shook their heads because the roots of this genre are still breaking, popping and locking. These dancers would tell a story with their dance and/or have street battles that meant something to their culture. Although, many people think they can dance Hip-Hop, it’s a tough dance to master. Levels and over-exagerated moves are a must! You need to have the swag and attitude, as well. One of the cool things about Hip-Hop is the clothing you can wear. Sweats, leggings, jeans, or anything else you feel like dancing in is acceptable. The shoes are your choice, but I prefer my high tops. The music should have a good down beat, but if you can find the rhythm and tell a story, it’s your song. A quote that you dancers will appreciate today is…”Dance is the hidden language of the soul of the body”. –Martha Graham

Styles of Dance Day 3