The Dodger

Venting -with V- Day 4:

Day 4: Comfort-Zones and Beyond:

Hey guys, it’s Vanessa here, and today I will be talking about comfort-zones, boundaries, and limits. I chose to talk about this topic because I felt like it’s something that most people shy away from. At some point everyone has a dream that seems to be almost impossible. With this being said, I would like to introduce comfort zones. What exactly is a comfort zone? To me a comfort zone is where you draw the line in any situation, for example if I was swimming in the ocean, I probably wouldn’t swim into the deeper areas because my comfort zone ends once I can’t touch the seafloor. A comfort zone can also involve the foods you choose to eat, how close a person is to you, etc. Comfort zones are very important these limits that you set for yourself keep you safe. However comfort-zones shouldn’t be such an obstacle when it comes to fulfilling your goals. While you’re reading this post I want you t think about your comfort zone and how it’s helped and deprived you.

Boundaries: Boundaries are where you decide to draw the line. Boundaries are safe to have and I would highly recommend everyone to know and understand where yours start and end. Boundaries should feel like a security blanket, there to protect you, but not suffocate you. To further explain that awkward message, boundaries shouldn’t feel like they’re depriving you of going out and living your life. I feel like whenever people are too worried about what can go wrong, they don’t fully enjoy themselves. I understand, it’s okay to be worried about your safety to a certain extent, but if that’s all you’re constantly worried about you will never have fun! So my challenge for you today is to learn to be safe and brave.

Limits: Limits are what structure both comfort zones and boundaries; limits are where you decide to draw the line. Limits control a good proportion of our life: how fast we drive, how much we eat, where and when we can go out, and for the most part they keep us safe. It is also these limits that sometimes strike our curiosity. For instance, have you ever been tempted to try something even after someone told you not to. It is this idea of not knowing the possibilities that starts limits. Story time for a bit. When I was about four, my aunt was curling her hair in the bathroom for the Christmas party, and she had warned me not to go in there and touch anything. Well, as a four-year-old brat curiosity got the best of me and I went into the bathroom as she left to the kitchen. As I went into the bathroom I see this bright green curler, and mind you I had absolutely no idea what it was. You’d think I would feel the heat before I grabbed it, but I didn’t, so I picked up the burning hot iron rod with my meaty baby hands and burned all of the inside of my hand. Lesson learned, my new limit was to stay away from anything that looked like that. Curiosity is not a bad thing; it helps us learn how to explore, how to tell the good from the bad, and finally where our limits start.

The message I’d like you guys to get from this is to be curious, set your boundaries, find your comfort zone, but don’t let it stop you from enjoying your life. I’m going to quote a good friend of mine for a second, “We’re here for a good time, not a long time.” With that being said go out and have your own adventure, and be aware of your boundaries, and comfort zone. Here’s some food for thought: Do boundaries define you? Have a great day everyone, I hope you enjoyed this, and stay tuned for Day 5 where I talk about my favorite topic, self-worth.

• Venting -with V- Day 4:

Sports

Fall Sports Update Week 3

• Venting -with V- Day 4:

Sports

Fall Sports Update Week 2

• Venting -with V- Day 4:

Sports

Fall Sports Update Week 1

• Venting -with V- Day 4:

Clubs

Girls place third at Sweepstakes

• Venting -with V- Day 4:

Student Life

GSA takes on “Day of Silence”

• Venting -with V- Day 4:

News

Second blood drive equals success

• Venting -with V- Day 4:

Sports

DCHS hires new head volleyball coach

• Venting -with V- Day 4:

News

Drill Team and Cheer announce 2019 teams

• Venting -with V- Day 4:

Student Life

Dodger Asks: How did you spend Spring Break?

• Venting -with V- Day 4:

Clubs

Forensics place at Greensburg

The School Newspaper of Dodge City High School
Venting -with V- Day 4: