The Dodger

DC vs. GC Day 3

Chidera Okoro, Digital Media Reporter

Wow. Can’t believe y’all are still reading! Well for those of you who stuck through, welcome to day three. For all you newbies, let me catch you up. The previous posts have been the history of each of the cities, Dodge and Garden. Now for day three, I’m going to cover some of the biggest sports rivalries of all time.

For teams to be considered in a rivalry, it has to be an intense competition among specific athletes or between teams. The rivalry is mostly strongest within the fans of the team or athlete. However, it is not uncommon that individual players and the team as a whole take these rivalries seriously. I, personally, am very competitive. Therefore, whenever I compete against Garden, it’s a big deal that I beat them; and honestly, the competition is not just within the schools, even adults outside of the school community take part in it.

Alright, let’s talk about sports rivalry in general. There are a lot of sports rivalries in the world all differing in their own reasons. However, my favorite iconic rivalry is Boston Celtics vs. Los Angeles Lakers. Now these two teams have been going at it for quite a while now. In total, they’ve met in the NBA finals 12 times. Some of the greatest basketball players to ever play in the league played on these teams, even against each other. Players such as Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Wilt Chamberlain, and Bill Russell all were rivals at one point in the league. They didn’t hate each other; they competed over the game they love.

For all you baseball fans, the New York Yankees vs. Red Sox is another huge rivalry. This rivalry was based on the fact that the Red Sox sold Babe Ruth to the New York Yankees. This transaction led to Babe Ruth becoming one of the best baseball players ever to play. He was nicknamed the “Bambino,” and the Red Sox franchise did not win a world series for years, and even decades. It was said that the Red Sox had the “Curse of the Bambino.” However, many years later in 2004, the Red Sox would go on to beat the St. Louis Cardinals to win the world series.

So guys, this is the end of day three. Just to recap, I’ve gone over the history of Dodge, Garden, and right now the gone over popular sports rivalries. Stay tuned as I uncover the truth about the Dodge City and Garden City rivalry. What do you guys think about this? What city’s team are y’all on? Comment down below, I want to read what y’all have to say!

• DC vs. GC Day 3

Student Life

Band gets superior rating at WAC festival

• Sports

Fall Sports Week Update 4

• DC vs. GC Day 3

Student Life

Students participate in HERO day

• DC vs. GC Day 3

Opinion

Dodger Asks: Who inspires you the most at the moment?

• DC vs. GC Day 3

Sports

Fall Sports Update Week 3

• DC vs. GC Day 3

Sports

Fall Sports Update Week 2

• DC vs. GC Day 3

Sports

Fall Sports Update Week 1

• DC vs. GC Day 3

Clubs

Girls place third at Sweepstakes

• DC vs. GC Day 3

Student Life

GSA takes on “Day of Silence”

• DC vs. GC Day 3

News

Second blood drive equals success

The School Newspaper of Dodge City High School
DC vs. GC Day 3