The Dodger

Dog Breeds Day 4

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dog Breeds Day 4

Michaela Mink, Digital Media Reporter

Hello dog lovers, I am Michaela. Today I will be talking about the Yorkshire Terrier. This is one of the smallest dogs I have talk about so far, but also one of my favorites. The Yorkie stands at about 7-8in and can weigh about 7 pounds or more if it is a bigger Yorkie. I really like the size of these dogs because they aren’t super tiny, but they are still a small dog. Yorkies are  known for their long silky hair, but often times you could see a Yorkie with hair that is only a couple of inches long. Grooming a Yorkie takes a bit of work. If you keep it Dog show long, than it needs to be brushed daily and the hair in front of its eyes needs to be pinned back. You can also get a puppy cut, which is when the facial hair is a bit longer than the short hair on the body. Weekly baths are also highly recommended.  They have grey or black fur on their body and brown or blond hair on their head and sometimes their paws.

Yorkies are very affectionate dogs and usually get attached to only one or two people. My grandma has owned three Yorkies and the one that she currently takes care of is a Teacup Yorkie. A Teacup Yorkie is about three pounds and about 5in tall. She resembles a regular sized yorkie, but is much smaller. Any Yorkie, no matter the size, needs lots of attention and socialization because of their affectionate personality. Their sprightly personality is also beneficial because they adapt really well to new areas. A Yorkie might be a good option for a family dog if it is a smaller family, but it is probably a better option for one or two people living in an apartment or house.

Come back tomorrow as I do a video blog about my Border Collie!

• Dog Breeds Day 4

Opinion

Dodger Asks: What do you plan on participating in the spring?

• Dog Breeds Day 4

Student Life

Students perform “Freaky Friday” the musical

• Dog Breeds Day 4

Opinion

Dodger Asks: If you could choose an artist for next year’s Super Bowl, who would it be?

• Dog Breeds Day 4

News

School hosts first Adulting Day

• Dog Breeds Day 4

Opinion

Dodger Asks: If you could get rid of the bells between classes, would you? Why?

• Dog Breeds Day 4

Sports

Lady Demons lose in round one of tournament

• Dog Breeds Day 4

Sports

Dodge City loses; finishes in fourth

• Dog Breeds Day 4

Sports

Demons fall short of Championship game

• Dog Breeds Day 4

News

DCHS implements new breakfast bars

• Dog Breeds Day 4

Sports

Dodge earns semi-final spot after defeating the Salthawks

The School Newspaper of Dodge City High School
Dog Breeds Day 4