Book Review: The Eye of Minds by James Dashner

Jay Wyatt, Staff Reporter

The Eye of Minds by James Dashner is a young adult novel based in the world of virtual videogaming.

Michael is a gamer. And like most gamers, and typical schoolers, he spends almost all his time on the VirtNet, than in the actual world. The VirtNet offers total mind and body immersion, and it’s addictive. Thanks to technology, anyone with enough money can experience fantasy worlds, risk their life without the chance of death, or just hang around with Virt-friends.

It’s pretty much like walking, breathing, even eating in Facebook or Twitter without all the adding friends or “following” people. The VirtNet is just a hyper-live-virtual simulation of life. You can even die as much as you like.

Though despite all the advances, there are rules and limitations that gamers and

people who want to hangout must abide by. Michael and his friends, Byron and Sarah happen to break the rules from time to time as they are hackers and code monkeys. Why not break a few rules if most of them are harmless?

That’s what Michael and his friends thought before someone began trapping people inside the VirtNet. None of them were able to wake up from the “Sleep” and get back to the “Wake.” This experience is so horrible that it pushes those trapped to suicide that Michael was forced to witness one horrifying day. If you’re trapped, when you die, you die. Your brain is forced into comatose dead state or you become a zombie of what you once were if you wake up.

This is all being done by a cyberterrorist named Kane. No one knows who or what Kane could be. No one except for the government, but they aren’t telling Michael and they’re the ones who abducted him on his way to school and asked for his help.

All he knows is that they have enlisted him and his friends to help in tracking down and stopping Kane. But, that requires them to go under the grid and break just as many rules as Kane, such as gaining illegal access to bloodied war game, hacking NPC bodyguards, and then their goal; to gain access to “The Path.” A loop in the highest security of the VirtNet that leads to Kane’s domain.
Personally, I loved the book. It has a mix of today’s teenage life with a twist of hardcore half futuristic, half modern day life, of what could be in the future. The Eye of Minds keeps on your feet and entertained with its surprisingly small main characters and stories of teens living through virtually simulated grown up situations. It has thrilling aspects for just about anyone, so it’s not just a book for gamers or readers of science fiction.
The Eye of Minds by James Dashner can be found in our Dodge City High School library.