Blog 1: Top Songs of the Summer 2018

Francisco Facio, Digital Media Reporter

What’s up guys my name is Francisco Facio welcome to day 1 of Top Songs of the Summer 2018. today we’re going to talk about one of the songs of the summer, everyday I will talk about one song, but today we’re focusing on one song and that is Juice WRLD’s “Lucid Dreams. Born in Chicago Illinois, In high school, Juice Wrld was a bad student with an active imagination and a passion for Percy Jackson’s fantasy novels and he released his first song on Soundcloud when he was just 15. Juice Wrld gained mainstream recognition after the release of the single “Lucid Dreams” in 2018, which peaked at No.2 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No.5 on Songs of the Summer and quickly became one of the biggest streaming songs of 2018.

This helped him gain a recording contract with Lil Bibby’s Grade A Production and Interscope Records “Lucid Dreams” acted as the lead single for his debut studio album Goodbye and Good Riddance, which peaked at number six on the Billboard 200, and was eventually certified gold. Lucid Dreams is soothing and intuitive, with a heartbroken melody and a sample of Sting’s “Shape of My Heart.”  “Lucid Dreams” is lush loner music, an inheritor of the emotional hip-hop of the last decade, delivered with the raw texture of the soundcloud generation and a deeply keen sense of pop efficiency.

His album Goodbye and Good Riddance was one of the year’s most effective hip-hop releases of 2018. Full of spacey, childlike production, it’s about the tug of war between the potency of drugs and the potency of love. Juice WRLD is a compelling narrator, sounding desperate and woeful, swallowed whole by his vices. Goodbye everyone see ya tomorrow.