The Dodger

Blog 4: Top Songs of the Summer

Francisco Facio, Digital Media Reporter

Hello everybody welcome back to day four of Top Songs of the Summer 2018. Once again we’ll be talking about a different song and today’s song is Drake’s In My Feelings. In My Feelings is a song from Drake’s eighth studio album Scorpion. It was released to rhythmic and contemporary hit radio on July 10, 2018, as the album’s fifth single. The song features additional vocals by the City Girls, though they are not credited on the official version. The song topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart for ten weeks and broke several records.

In My Feelings debuted at No.6 on the Billboard Hot 100, one of seven top entries by Drake that week. It broke the streaming record for the most streams in a single with 116.2 million streams, and retained the top spot in the chart. It also got No.1 on Top Songs of the Summer in 2018. The success of In My Feelings made Drake the record holder for most No.1 hits among rappers in the history of the Hot 100 chart.

In My Feelings is a bounce track. Upon its release, several outlets reported that the song and “Kiki” was about Keshia Chanté, Drake’s first girlfriend and childhood friend from Toronto. It was also reported that “KB” was Kyanna Barber, a resident of Oakland, California. Drake also makes references to Jennifer Lopez, whom he briefly dated in 2016, and Quality Control duo City Girls, made up of members Yung Miami and JT. The City Girls also provide uncredited vocals.

The song inspired an internet meme dance challenge known as the Kiki Challenge, In My Feelings Challenge or DoTheShiggy, the latter being a reference to the comedian Shiggy, who posted a video on his Instagram account of him dancing to the song; this video was credited for inspiring the challenge. The dance challenge is to walk outside of moving vehicles and dancing in oncoming traffic. Originating in the US, the challenge later spread to other parts of the world where in some countries it caused controversy and public concern. The challenge is subject to fines on public roads in the Philippines. Well thank you guys for stopping by today, hope you guys come back next time for my top songs. Have a good day!

• Blog 4: Top Songs of the Summer

Opinion

Dodger Asks: How do you feel about your upcoming Junior Prom?

• Blog 4: Top Songs of the Summer

News

HOSA brings medical helicopter for professional learning

• Blog 4: Top Songs of the Summer

News

Hensley recognized as Rudd Scholar

• Blog 4: Top Songs of the Summer

Opinion

Dodger Asks: How do you feel about the college admission scandal?

• Blog 4: Top Songs of the Summer

News

Dodge City residents choose zoo fate

• Blog 4: Top Songs of the Summer

Student Life

Music department hosts annual Band-o- Rama

• Blog 4: Top Songs of the Summer

News

Hansen and Herter become new assistant principals

• Blog 4: Top Songs of the Summer

Opinion

Dodger Asks: What class have you enjoyed most this quarter and why?

• Blog 4: Top Songs of the Summer

Opinion

Dodger Asks: What do you plan on participating in the spring?

• Blog 4: Top Songs of the Summer

Student Life

Students perform “Freaky Friday” the musical

The School Newspaper of Dodge City High School
Blog 4: Top Songs of the Summer