The Dodger

Blog:4 Soccer History

Back to Article
Back to Article

Blog:4 Soccer History

Katherine Peña, Digital Media Reporter

Hi, I am back with day 4! And today I am talking about the five highest leagues in the world.

The Top Five Soccer Leagues

1. English Premier League
  2. Serie A
  3. La Liga
  4. Bundesliga
  5. Major League Soccer

1. English Premier League

The English Premier League (EPL) is the top tier league in England boasting widely known teams such as Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, and many other popular teams.

Some of the world’s best players are playing in the English Premier League. A few of my favorite players to watch here include Robin Van Persie, Wayne Rooney, David Silva, Sergio Aguero and, of course, Americans Clint Dempsey and Tim Howard.

The EPL runs from August through May, providing nearly year-round entertainment. And what great entertainment it is! The matches are usually filled with skill, action, drama, and surprises. By the end of the season, you’ll be sitting on the edge of your seat cheering your team on and hoping for victory.

The English Premier League is broadcast all over the world. In America, it is aired through NBC Sports.

This league is one of my top favorites not only because of the level of play, but also because the long history of the league dates back many, many years. The fans and the stadiums are always impressive and it makes the games that much more exciting when the buzz of the cheering crowd is heard throughout a match. You can read more information on why this league is awesome with this article that argues that the EPL is the best in the world.

2. Serie A in Italy

Serie A is the Italian soccer league which contains the best teams in Italy. Inter Milan, Juventus, and AC Milan are a few of the well-known teams in the league.

The players in this league are some of the finest in the world. A few of the most notable players include Wesley Sneijder, Gianluigi Buffon, Daniele De Rossi, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, as well as American Michael Bradley.

The Serie A season runs during the same time most other leagues play, including the English Premier League. It begins in September and concludes in May the following year.

My favorite team when I was growing up was AC Milan. I loved watching them play because of the players on the team, particularly Ricardo Kaka.

Unfortunately for Serie A, they seems to always have a bit of controversy in the air. They had a big match fixing scandal in 2006 that is still hanging over the league today. Let’s hope they can clear their problems and just play great soccer.

3. Spanish La Liga

The Primera División in Spain, but better known as La Liga to English speakers, is the top Spanish football league. It has been in existence since the late 1920s and still includes three teams today who have never been knocked out of the league.

La Liga is best known for two powerhouse teams that in recent years have dominated not only this league but other club tournaments throughout Europe.

Real Madrid and Barcelona contain arguably the best players in the world in Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi respectively. The 2011-2012 season saw both men break the league record for most goals in a season, but Messi ended up topping Ronaldo’s impressive 46 goals by scoring an incredible 50 goals, the current seasonal league record. Besides these players, each squad is brimming with superstars too many to mention here.

Barcelona has won the championship in La Liga 25 times. They have won the title for multiple years in a row on a few occasions. However, Real Madrid has won the championship 33 times.

The season runs at the same time as the EPL and Serie A. It is broadcasted on beIN Sports in the United States. I enjoy watching La Liga because of the incredible players on Barcelona and Real Madrid. It is not uncommon to see scores of 5-0 or even 8-0 in some games.

4. German Bundesliga

The Bundesliga is Germany’s primary soccer league. Although formed relatively recently in 1963, it boasts incredible fan support. It saw a record level of fan attendance with an average of over 45,000 fans in each game during the 2011-2012 season.

The Bundesliga has traditionally been dominated by FC Bayern Munich. They have recently won the championship six years in a row.

While Bayern Munich is made up of at least 7 German national team players, the Bundesliga includes other world class players such as Robben, Ribery, Huntelaar, and several American team members.

The season runs from August through May, following a similar schedule as many other European leagues.

I enjoy the Bundesliga because of strong players, passionate fans, and packed stadiums. The games tend to be very competitive and exciting, making it one of the best leagues every soccer fan should follow!

5. Major League Soccer in America

I know many will be confused or disagree, but as an American, Major League Soccer provides soccer action close at hand. The MLS is the top soccer league in America. It was formed about 20 years ago to provide both players and fans professional soccer in the US.

While the league does not contain the same number of superstars as European leagues, it has included stars like David Beckham, Robbie Kean, Thierry Henry, and many Central American players as well as US National Team members.

Opposite most European leagues, the MLS season runs during the summer months, stretching from March through November. Some have wondered why the MLS would not follow the example of other leagues, but I believe it provides great summer entertainment while most other soccer leagues are on break.

In recent years, MLS has seen a rapidly increasing fan base in combination with new, soccer specific stadiums throughout the country. These stadiums provide an incredible atmosphere during the games and, for any American soccer fan, is a must-visit.

MLS is one of the top leagues every soccer fan should follow because it has grown significantly in the last 15 years, and appears to be set to grow even more in the years to come.

Alright this is all for today I will be back soon.

• Blog:4 Soccer History

Opinion

Dodger Asks: How do you feel about your upcoming Junior Prom?

• Blog:4 Soccer History

News

HOSA brings medical helicopter for professional learning

• Blog:4 Soccer History

News

Hensley recognized as Rudd Scholar

• Blog:4 Soccer History

Opinion

Dodger Asks: How do you feel about the college admission scandal?

• Blog:4 Soccer History

News

Dodge City residents choose zoo fate

• Blog:4 Soccer History

Student Life

Music department hosts annual Band-o- Rama

• Blog:4 Soccer History

News

Hansen and Herter become new assistant principals

• Blog:4 Soccer History

Opinion

Dodger Asks: What class have you enjoyed most this quarter and why?

• Blog:4 Soccer History

Opinion

Dodger Asks: What do you plan on participating in the spring?

• Blog:4 Soccer History

Student Life

Students perform “Freaky Friday” the musical

The School Newspaper of Dodge City High School
Blog:4 Soccer History