Dodge City loses; finishes in fourth


John Johnson, 11, prepares to drive the ball in the third place game against Shawnee Mission South. Photo by Lilian Rodriguez

Victoria Garcia, Editor in Chief

Dodge City played against Shawnee Mission South for a third place showdown, however the Red Demons came up short, losing 77-63 and finishing the 76th Annual Tournament of Champions in fourth place.

Going into the game, both teams showed determination to win, making the first quarter anyone’s game. The tip-off was won by SM South, however the ball was stolen by John Johnson, 11. It was not enough for the Demons, and the Raiders made the first basket, making the score 2-0. SM South continued to establish their lead, driving the score up 8-0 with 5 minutes left. Noah Sowers, 12, made the first basket for the Red Demons, allowing the Dodge to make it onto the scoreboard. At the three minute mark, Sowers scored a three pointer bringing the score to 9-5. Johnson followed with a basket and a free throw shot. At the end of quarter one the score was 13-10, SM South still in the lead.

Starting quarter two, the Red Demons showed a renewed determination, scoring the first basket in the quarter, tying the score 13-13. After two sets of missed free throws by Dodge City, SM South took off and scored a three pointer, a basket, and managed to steal the ball from Dodge City, brining the score to 21-14. The Red Demons began to make back-to-back fouls, allowing SM South to secure their lead. Cody Ibarra, 12, scored a three pointer in an attempt to bring the score closer. In a high energy play, Alden Knedler, 10, managed to steal the ball from SM South, passing it to Sowers, who drove the ball and scored a basket making the score 28-19. With 50 seconds left in the first half, Adrian Mendoza, 12, scored a three pointer, bringing the final score to 37-23, with the Railers still in the lead.

Coming back into the second half, SM South was determined to solidify their lead. Dodge City began getting restless and continued to make mistakes that cost them many vital scoring opportunities. Johnson and Sowers were the only scorers during the third quarter, with six points and three points, respectively. At the end of the third quarter the Raiders remained in the lead 61-42.

The fourth quarter brought the defeat of the Demons, as the Raiders showed more determination to win. They continually executed successful plays allowing them to make their lead concrete. The Demons continued to play hard, however they were visibly defeated. In the end, the Demons fell short of third place, finishing off the tournament in fourth place. Final score was 77-63.

Dodge City Red Demons will be back in action on January 25th at the DCHS Fieldhouse, in a game against the Great Bend Panthers.