The Dodger

Junior class leads in Pennies for Patients effort

Aylin Rojas, Staff Reporter

In an effort to raise money for those battling cancer, the National Honors Society is hosting a school-wide campaign called “Pennies for Patients.”

For two weeks now, NHS has set up a table during lunch in order for students to donate their spare change. The goal is to reach $2,000.

As of Feb. 23, the senior class has raised $220.60, the junior class $391.68, the sophomore class $174.20. and the freshman class $206.72. The junior class is currently in the lead. Counting today, there are seven more days left of opportunity to reach the total goal.

The Flora-culture class has helped NHS out by selling roses for $1 each, or a dozen for $5. By doing this it’s helping the school reach its goal.

“If every student and staff member would give the equivalent of what they would have spent on a specialty drink (coffee or tea), soda, fast food, or vending machine for just one day we would easily wipe out our goal?” said Virgil Hutchcraft, NHS sponsor.

NHS is honored to be helping this great cause, not only do they have for the school, but also for the community, and for the people who are struggling through cancer.

Photographer Aylin Rojas
Mr. Hutchcraft, NHS sponsor sits during lunch and collects money for this organization.

“The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society asked us to do it and we’re always looking for more projects, so we decided to do it, I’m hopeful that we’ll make our goal,” said Hutchcraft.

When a student gives more than just spare change, they get to write their name on a blood drop shaped paper and it gets tapped on the glass in the commons area, this shows who has donated more than just spare change. Also, every time $250 is received, NHS takes off a letter off of the sign in the main hallway which reads “LEUKEMIA”.

“I’m glad the school is helping out with Pennies for Patients, because we’re actually helping a really great cause by doing this, and seeing all those peoples names tapped on the glass in the commons it shows that multiple people are donating more than just spare change, but dollar bills. It’s shows that they actually care and it’s a great feeling,” said senior, Citlali Cobian member of NHS.

Many students have been donating to this good cause, thanks to them donating their spare change, we’re helping those in need.

“I think this is a great cause everyone should donate to, because it’s really hard going through something like cancer and the most we can do to help them, is to donate our spare change. Even ¢25 make a change,” said junior, Kate Gonzales who donated to Pennies for Patients.

NHS encourages all the students to donate for this cause, and hopes to reach the

goal. The last day to donate is on March 8th.

“The money we raise will help cancer patients all over the world!.. together we’re making a difference, not someday, but today,” said Hutchcraft.

Aylin Rojas, Academics Editor

Aylin has been in Publications for two years.

She is also the track & field team.

"I love that we all have the opportunity to join...

• Junior class leads in Pennies for Patients effort

Opinion

Dodger Asks: What are your plans for Thanksgiving this year?

Student Life

Drama Club performs No Vacancy

Student Life

Clubs host blood drive

Opinion

Dodger Asks: How do you feel about the changes to P/T Conferences?

Sports

Fall Sports Week Update 7 Final

Opinion

Dodger Asks: What are your plans after high school?

Clubs

YE holds annual Market Day

Sports

Fall Sports Week Update 6

News

October Student of the Month

News

Students attend event geared for the future

The School Newspaper of Dodge City High School