The Dodger

Class hosts comedy event

Student+actors+perform+during+a+%22Night+of+Comedy.%22+
Student actors perform during a

Student actors perform during a "Night of Comedy."

Photographer Bonny Castillo

Photographer Bonny Castillo

Bonny Castillo, Staff Reporter

Earlier this week the 4th block Technical Theatre class performed, “A Night Of Comedy.” The show was performed in the DCHS auditorium.

The first act was “All’s Well That Ends Wrong,” by Greg Kachejian. This was about about five college freshmen getting together to study for a Shakespeare mid-term. Felix played by Dalton John, 10, is the one that actually tries to get his work done. Then there’s Wendy played by, Alexandria Gier, 10, she’s the type of student that tries, but gets distracted easily. Josh played by Jose Cueto, 12,  is the one that always tries to be the smart-alec. Then Nora, played by Dakota Schellhamer, 12,  is the type of student that puts in a little effort, but would also ask if she could cheat, so she would be the lazyish type. In addition to this situation we have Jamie Lee played by Michele Vasquez, 10,  the one student that we wished we never would have invited to join the group because they just do not do their work at all.

Felix is desperately trying to study while his friends would much rather eat pizza, talk about boys, dance, and have out-of-body experiences.

Later during the show Doug the pizza deliverer played by Omar Carlos, 11,  invites them to his party. When Wendy, Josh, Nora, and Jamie Lee talk about going instead of studying, Felix explodes and starts to describe what he feel about every one of them in an anger-type manner. Felix tries to convince them to stay, but his friends end up going to the party. Felix starts talking to himself about how it was ridicules of them to go to the party and starts to not feel sorry for them, if they don’t pass the test.

Later, Felix’s crush Gloria, played by Alondra Dominguez, 11 comes in and asks for help and Felix jumps at the opportunity to help her out.

Then Act 1 ends. During the ten minute break, the Little Feet Dance Academy Performed. After the performance the class took back the stage for Part 2, “Backstage Broadway,” by Bradly Hayward.

Part 2 was about how putting on a show is very difficult. The director David Alexander (John) is trying to revive his career. Things were not going well for Alexander. He hired Eva an old has-been actor, and Luther’s (Schellhamer) wife Marguerite (Gier), who is a member of a gang who can’t act, but the husband is sponsoring the show. There is also construction going on, which is very dangerous. Carl Weston (Cueto) is David’s assistant and has a hard time with Eva (Dominguez).

Eva starts to boss Carl around which gets him annoyed. In addition to this situation, Valerie (Vasquez) and Maxwell (Carlos) start to come in for rehearsal. The director struggles with Eva and Marguerite, who are fighting constantly. David tries to teach the clumsy and unmotivated crew to dance. At one moment David’s trying to separate Marguerite and Eva from fighting and once David turns around, Eva starts to choke Marguerite. Carl ends up getting sick and in the hospital.

Later on, the star that they were all waiting for, dies because the construction accidentally squished her. Then Maxwell collapsed and died suddenly. At the end, the director did not know what to do because he lost half of his crew. From there the act ended with Eva collapsing.

For many, it was the first time performing on the stage.

“Yes, this is my first time performing on stage. I was nervous, but I managed to get through and gained confidence along the way while performing. I feel like everyone should do this because it’s a great experience,” said Dominguez.

It took months to memorize lines as well as to prepare for these performances overall.

“The teacher gave us about two months to be able to memorize our lines. I also felt pretty comfortable and confident on stage. When Alexandria hit me with the binder on the head it was hard to not break character,” said Omar Carlos, 11.

The class performed Feb. 26 and then on Feb. 27.

• Class hosts comedy event

Opinion

Dodger Asks: What are your plans for Thanksgiving this year?

• Class hosts comedy event

Student Life

Drama Club performs No Vacancy

• Class hosts comedy event

Student Life

Clubs host blood drive

• Class hosts comedy event

Opinion

Dodger Asks: How do you feel about the changes to P/T Conferences?

• Class hosts comedy event

Sports

Fall Sports Week Update 7 Final

• Class hosts comedy event

Opinion

Dodger Asks: What are your plans after high school?

• Class hosts comedy event

Clubs

YE holds annual Market Day

• Class hosts comedy event

Sports

Fall Sports Week Update 6

• Class hosts comedy event

News

October Student of the Month

• Class hosts comedy event

News

Students attend event geared for the future

The School Newspaper of Dodge City High School
Class hosts comedy event