The Dodger

GSA takes on “Day of Silence”

Rachel Garcia, Co-Sports Reporter

The high school will be having an annual event called “The Day of Silence,” on April 26. The event is organized by GSA, and will be during school. Students will be silent on this day in order to show respect to those who have passed away due to suicide, bullying, self-harm or other situations.

The Day of Silence began in 1996 at the university level as a way to recognize those in the LGBTQ+ community who suffer silently because of bullying. Since then, it has been brought to the middle school and high school levels by GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network). It is now observed in all 50 states in middle schools, high schools, colleges, and universities.

Jennifer Waldron, sponsor said she wants the students to be personally impacted.

“The goal of GSA, specifically at DCHS, is to give kids a safe space free of judgment and labels. Our officers bring awareness to issues our students are facing including non-inclusive legislation and social and emotional struggles. Really, we just want kids to know there’s a place for everyone a people who support their well being,” said Waldron.

During the day, everyone will be able to notice those who are participating because they will not be speaking in general.

“Students participating in the activity will not speak during the day as a symbol of the silent suffering these victims experience. However, this does not give you a free pass to get out of participating in class. Our members know that their sacrifice of communication does not include refusing to speak to their teachers and classmates when it is necessary. Our members have also been reminded that silence includes limited communication via technology,” said Waldron.

And with the recent tragic events that have taken place within our community, Waldron said she wants this day to be an observance.

“The purpose of the Day of Silence is to remember children, teens, and young adults who are driven to suicide and self-harm as a result of bullying for any reason. Those in the LGBTQ+ community are three times more likely to be threatened and/or bullied; however, we recognize this is an epidemic that affects everyone,” said Waldron.

Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) is an organization that focuses on bringing support to the LGBTQ+ students through education and friendship.

“The club is not solely for LGBTQ+ kids as straight allies are very encouraged to participate because the more people who are educated about LGBTQ+, the more likely we are to have inclusivity and eliminate stereotypes and bullying,” said Waldron.

• GSA takes on “Day of Silence”

Opinion

Dodger Asks: What are your plans for Thanksgiving this year?

• GSA takes on “Day of Silence”

Student Life

Drama Club performs No Vacancy

• GSA takes on “Day of Silence”

Student Life

Clubs host blood drive

• GSA takes on “Day of Silence”

Opinion

Dodger Asks: How do you feel about the changes to P/T Conferences?

• GSA takes on “Day of Silence”

Sports

Fall Sports Week Update 7 Final

• GSA takes on “Day of Silence”

Opinion

Dodger Asks: What are your plans after high school?

• GSA takes on “Day of Silence”

Clubs

YE holds annual Market Day

• GSA takes on “Day of Silence”

Sports

Fall Sports Week Update 6

• GSA takes on “Day of Silence”

News

October Student of the Month

• GSA takes on “Day of Silence”

News

Students attend event geared for the future

The School Newspaper of Dodge City High School
GSA takes on “Day of Silence”